Newsitelogo

Raptor UK canoe sailing

Home My Raptor Meets Videos Files Guests Contact
EddieVB Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5 | Page 6 | Page 7
Page 8 | Page 9 | Page 10 | Page 11 | Page 12 | Page 13 | Page 14

and the lost area was all up top. I left the batten pockets alone so it would be easy to sew the trim cloth on the leech of the sail and have enough material to redo the two batten pocket grommets. The leech between the battens was slightly (") scalloped but otherwise it was a straight line between the battens.

EVB71Saildesign5

EVB72Saildesign5

Wrinkles on head with some downhaul applied.

Bottom of the leech is curling.

Since I shortened my boom so I could fit my Raptor into the garage without removing it, I lost 10" of the foot compared to my old sail. I made up for it by using a square top sail instead of the original pinhead one but found out that the CE (Center of Effort) moved too far back if the square top was over 22" long. It's funny as it had almost the exact same shape as an IC canoe.

This sail looked good but had some wrinkles at the head by the luff and the bottom of the leech curled in at the edge. It sailed well and had no helm. It was just a joy to sail in the 15 - 16 mph winds we had.

When the wind picked up to 16 - 18 mph the boat was totally controllable. I was doing 10.4 mph being careful and was just having a blast. The water ballast worked perfectly and I just reefed the sail a little before going on the starboard tack. I never had to lean toward the sidecar and it was just an enjoyable sail. I still had a little pucker at the head but overall it looked good. It really felt good and it was clear by the trail I left that I was moving right along. The wind was about 16 mph when I was going upwind. The sail shape looked good and the top was not blowing off. I had it sheeted pretty hard so that the top of the mast was bending back, giving the sail the proper shape. Man I really enjoyed sailing that day.

I went back and tested the sail again. The wind had built from 14 to 18 mph. The boat handled well and was easy to tack. The sail felt great on a port tack and I was able to have it fully out. Normally I would reef but I was testing to see if it would bury the ama. I do not have that problem now and overall it just felt right. I was able with some water ballast to go on a broad starboard reach and the boat was rock solid and I had no need to lean towards the sidecar.

After I got done and studied the notes I made, I concluded that for overall performance the latest setup with the slightly smaller sail worked best overall. I lost a little light air performance but the boat felt rock solid on both tacks and I was super pleased with the results. I took the sail to my sail maker for him to finish trimming and sewing up the leech of the sail and discussed what he would do with the new one he was to make soon. He goes by the pictures and information I give him as there is no database for a Raptor sail. Before making a new one he needed to see how the luff curve worked on the one that he had just finished doing. If it looked good he could design the new sail around that curve. If not, he would redo the curve until it was right, before designing the new sail. After using the sails for a while in different wind conditions, I started to see a pattern develop. While a larger sail worked better in light air it was useless when the wind picked up above 6 mph. I would have to reef early and so wouldn't get the benefit of the proper sail shape that I had when the full sail was out. With all the trial and error I found that overall 90 sq ft or 8.36 m2 seems to be the ideal sail size. Just a little change in sail area makes a big difference in the handling of the boat.

The square top should be a little more efficient overall compared to a pinhead sail. The problem is that the CE moves back the larger you make the head of the square top, so that needs to be addressed in the design. I did it by trial and error and found that about 21" for the head and a nice curve back on the leech put the CE where it belonged and made the helm feel just right. The boat sailed better and I had neutral helm where I could take my feet off the pedals and the boat would sail straight. I had a little bit of helm before trimming the 1 sq ft off the leech near the top of the sail (see #5). I knew I was going the right way because tacking on the extra piece on the top of the leech (see #4) made the handling and helm terrible, so I knew I had to go the other way.

EVB73Saildesign6

EVB74Saildesign6

(6) Final sail design (April 2009). Third re-cut of the sail with the 19' stiffer mast. My sail maker looked at all the pictures and was pretty happy with the overall shape of the sail. He added another batten between the foot and first batten up, as the sail slightly hooks from the pictures he saw. A "D" patch at the head takes care of the wrinkles when downhaul is applied. I applied just a touch of downhaul after this picture was taken and the sail was perfectly smooth. Notice all the telltales are flying. It was a little gusty so it was hard to take a picture while making sure the boat would not tip over. There is a lot of power now.

After I've tested this design this Spring he will make a final design and build me a new sail. The panel orientation will be different from what I have now. He wanted me to try the sail in different

Home | My Raptor | Meets | Videos | Files | Guests | Contact

< Previous |  Next >